Saturday, April 05, 2008

Charlton Heston


LOS ANGELES (AP) - Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot- racing "Ben-Hur" and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84.


I'll remember him most as my president in The National Rifle Association. When the NRA was experiencing a slide in membership, Mr. Heston came along with his resonant voice, skilled speaking style and star power helping to boost membership to unprecedented levels.

It was this extra large membership roll that allowed us to better organise our media drives, raise money, and inform the citizens at election time. Gun-Rights issues have been credited with the defeat of Al Gore in 2000, allowing a right-leaning Supreme Court majority to finally take hold, a majority that is currently in the process of reaffirming the Second Amendment and the individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms after two generations of attacks and set-backs.

Thanks to the NRA, and Charlton Heston, some freedoms will still be with us, to be handed over to our children's children for safe keeping.

Rest in peace, Mr. Heston.
May God bless you, and hold you close.

5 comments:

Strolling Amok said...

I always think of Planet of the Apes - which I loved when I was a kid - when I think of Heston. Interesting that the NRAs two best known members, Heston and Ted Nugent, achieved their greatest pop-cultural moments while wearing loin-clothes.

Anonymous said...

he leaves some mighty large shoes to fill. I can only hope my generation will have an advocate like him someday.

Gino said...

SA: that's because a real man doesnt need a three-piece suit in order to matter.

mick: your generation is providing the juice in the obamamania, and the foot soldiers in the ron paul revolution.
looks like a generation at war with itself. not good.
but it only took one charlton to change the course of constitutional history. make sure yours gets his chance.

Anonymous said...

To ensure that this could be done easily and immediately, you must have paperwork you may need accessible before filling
out the application my website and in relation to speaking with clients about business loan finance, commercial banking,
as well as the financing with the right loans and financial vehicles for business that phrase seems somehow.

Anonymous said...

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or
weblog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.
Reading this information So i am happy to express that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out just what
I needed. I such a lot surely will make sure to do not
forget this site and give it a glance regularly.



Also visit my blog post xavierxwcarter.blogs.experienceproject.Com