Monday, April 07, 2008

The Working Lives Of Wives


We've got this latest study from another group of doing-nothing-of-significance researchers.Husbands create 7 hours of extra housework a week: study

Yeah, so what?
No mention that wives create several extra hours of paid labor a week for husbands.

My favorite part of this article is this gem:

women with more than three children spent 28 hours a week cleaning, cooking and washing.


That's all? 28 hrs?
I'm assuming the vast majority of these "wives with more than three children" are stay at home, non-labor force moms.
When the man is out working his 40hrs plus overtime, and taking care of the cars and the yard on weekends, and still willing to put his body and life on the line in the event of a burglary or home invasion?
Not a bad deal for the wife, if you ask my opinion.
All this, and some added long term health benefits as well.
LINK
(heh, don't blame me. I just link 'em)

I vividly remember my "stay at home days" when I was out of work for over a year, with a 2yr old and a 4 yr old. My wife was thrust into the role of breadwinner.
I kept an immaculate house, inside and outside, cooked all meals, did all the laundry,shopping,budgeting,mechanics,repairs, security, etc, you name it. And was still expected to perform 'maritally' 4-5 times a week. (OK, so that part was fun).

And I did it for love, without needing some social scientist (who likely has never had a productive job,anyway) whining about my lifestyle with a goofy-assed 'study' designed to sow divisions within the ages old social order.

6 comments:

Kristopher said...

I wish I had it as hard as my wife. Woman are very spoiled creatures. They want equality when it benefits them and they want special treatment when it benefits them.

If they weren't good for one thing, there'd be a bounty out for them.

Anonymous said...

A stay-at-home-wife/mother trades work at home for an equal share or better of the outcome of her husbands labor. I love how these studies completely ignore a mans contribution.

Kristopher said...

This is why I'm teaching my sons to also marry a woman outside of the U.S., perhaps the Ukraine or Poland; you know, a woman who would actually appreciate a man who works hard enough so she can stay home and perhaps cook a meal for her husband once in a while!

God damn, this shit pisses me off!

BarnGoddess said...

omg, my husband would love to read this post.Ha! too bad hes not!!!!!

as a stay-at-home mother, I do work a lot around here, but not nearly as much as I let on to my husband (wink)

Jade said...

Personally, I find studies like this to be irrelevant. Most marriages that I see around here have their own unique division of labor that works for them. I do the housework and laundry because I *like* how I do the housework and laundry (and really, watching my husband try to iron a shirt is physically painful) But I also mow the lawn because I enjoy mowing the lawn... I actually find it quite peaceful.

However, if we relied solely on me cooking we would starve most nights (not for lack of food, but lack of desire to eat what I dish out) Dan is an excellent cook, and enjoys creating new dinners out of interesting mixes of herbs and spices.

My brother in law, on the other hand, does most of the cleaning and housework at his place because he is very particular about having everything neat and tidy.

You don't have to go outside of the US to find a woman who appreciates what her husband does, you just have to find the right person who compliments your abilities.

Gino said...

jade: yes, these studies are irrelevent, as most marriages are like your own, where division of labors is based upon a couple's strengths/desires with respect to/for each other.

but what isnt irrelevent is that there is an agenda driving these studies, and their publication.

i enjoyed my mr mom days. it never occured to me that somehow, somebody out there might think i was getting screwed. and the wife would say the same in regards to her spawning years, when i worked two jobs and didnt do shit around the house. i ate dinner 20minutes after walking in the door, every day, no matter what time i came home. she was great, and she took pride in that.

it was just two people working together for the same purpose.
as it should be.